The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) issued the 2020 deductibles, coinsurance, and premium rates for beneficiaries covered through the Medicare fee for service program. The 2020 deductible, coinsurance and base premium rates are:
2020 Part A – Hospital insurance
• $352.00 a day for 61st-90th day
• $704.00 a day for 91st-150th day (lifetime reserve days)
• $176.00 a day for 21st-100th day (skilled nursing facility coinsurance)
2020 Part B – Supplementary medical insurance (SMI)
Under Part B of the Medicare supplementary medical insurance (SMI) program, enrollees are subject to a monthly premium. Most SMI services are subject to an annual deductible and coinsurance (percent of costs that the enrollee must pay), which are set by statute.
Standard premium: $144.60 a month
Deductible: $198.00 a year
- The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services has set the Part A deductible, for hospital stays, at $1,364 for 2019.
- The coinsurance per day in the hospital for 2019 is $341 from the 61st day until the 90th day.
- Part B deductible, for doctor and lab tests, is $185. Medicare Part B covers one flu shot per season, with no copay or deductible.
- For Skilled Nursing Facility stays, the coinsurance is $170.50 per day for days 21 to 100.
This information is for Medicare, not an Medicare Advantage Plan.